Sunday, 18 January 2009

Gangland double killer fears for life

Sunday Tribune

Ali Bracken Crime Correspondent
The missing poster for Peter Gunn, whose body was found on Thursday
Roly Cronin who was shot dead 11 days ago
1 2 Gardaí investigating the gangland double murder in Dublin 11 days ago believe the gunman has left the country and fear that his own gang now has plans to kill him.
Michael 'Roly' Cronin (35), a major drug trafficker, was shot dead as he sat in a black Volvo sports car in Summerhill in the north-inner city.
His driver, James Moloney (26), from Ballymun was also shot in the attack and died from his injuries in hospital two days later. Both men were shot in the head by the killer, who was a small time criminal and drug user known to Cronin.
He had been talking to them from the back seat of their English-registered Volvo as it was parked in Langrishe Place before he opened fire.
The gunman was also an armed robber who learned his trade from Larry Cummins (56), the robber convicted of driving the getaway car in the robbery at Charlie Chawke's Goat Grill pub five years ago. Cummins died of natural causes last week while serving a sentence for the pub raid.
The gunman responsible for the double murder was out on high court bail for two robberies at the time he carried out the shooting, despite garda objections.
After carrying out the double murder he was helped out of the country – probably to Spain – by the man who organised the killings. He is in his 30s and lives in Finglas and is regarded as the biggest drug trafficker in the capital.
However, gardai have made great progress in investigating the murder and expect charges to be brought. As a result there are fears that the killer will be executed by his own gang to ensure that he does not become a garda witness and lift the lid on his boss's activities.
Detectives have obtained mobile phone traffic records linking criminals involved and seized mobile phones as part of their investigation.
Last week, five people were arrested in relation to the double murder investigation and officers have built up a detailed picture of what happened on the night of 9 January.
However, some officers fear that although they believe they will gather the evidence necessary to secure a conviction, the gunman might never return to Ireland.
Meanwhile, gardaí yesterday launched a murder investigation into the fatal stabbing of Peter Gunn (29), Glasnevin, Dublin. The father of two was found dead on Thursday night in a ditch at the side of Dunsoghly Lane in The Ward in north county Dublin.
Gardaí believe his remains were there for over a week, although it is possible he was killed elsewhere and later moved. He had been missing for two weeks and was last seen with a group of friends in Dublin's north inner city.
Gardaí have issued a description of the victim and appealed to taxi drivers working in the Summerhill area that may have picked up Gunn on 4 January to come forward.
January 18, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment