Sunday, 15 August 2010

Gardai appeal for witnesses to fatal Dublin shooting

Irish Times

Gardai at the scene of yesterday's shooting of Daniel Gaynor. Photograph: Dara Mac Donaill/The Irish TImes
Gardaí have issued a description of the gunman responsible for the fatal shooting in Dublin last night of Finglas man Daniel Gaynor.
Mr Gaynor (25) was shot at the junction of Barnamore Crescent and Saint Helena's Road in Finglas at approximately 6.50pm.
He was out walking with his partner and two young children when he was shot several times by a lone gunman.
He was removed to Connolly Hospital, Blanchardstown and was pronounced dead a short time later.
The suspect was described by gardaí today as being around 5’9’’. He was of thin build and wore dark clothing with a light grey coloured top.
Superintendant Dave Dowling said the suspect ran towards the Tolka Valley area after the shooting.
Gardaí are trying to establish a motive for Mr Gaynor’s killing and have issued an appeal to anyone who may have been in the area or who may have information about the shooting to come forward.
It is not clear if there is any link between the shooting and recent fatal gun attacks in the area.
A handgun believed by gardaí to have been used in the attack has been recovered and is being examined by ballistics experts for evidence.
The dead man was well known to gardaí and served jail terms for drugs offences, firearms offences and intimidation of witnesses.
In November 2007, he received an 18-month sentence after he was caught with cocaine and diazepan during a 2005 appearance at Dublin District Court.
In 2006, Gaynor was tried and convicted of witness intimidation. The court heard that the intimidation of the 62-year-old female victim was so severe that a witness protection programme was “immediately” arranged for her.
It was alleged during the trial that he told her that her son's days were numbered and made a gesture of a shotgun to his head.
Gaynor's father, Robert McGrath, was shot dead by armed gardaí in 1992 after he pointed a sawn-off shotgun at them during an attempted armed robbery of a post office in Tara, Co Meath.
Daniel Gaynor’s death is the latest in a spate of gang-related killings in the Finglas area.
In July, Colm Owens (34), of Dunsoughly, Finglas, was shot dead when a masked gunman entered the Corn Store, an animal feed warehouse, on the Grove Industrial Estate at Dubber Lane, Finglas.
Mr Owens’ death followed the shooting in April of Eamon Dunne (34), the leader of one of the biggest organised crime gangs in the country, who was gunned down while socialising with his daughter in the Fassaugh House pub in Cabra, north Dublin.

No comments:

Post a Comment